Saturday 6 April 2013

Functional Programming for the Object Orientated Programmer


Having finished our first book (The Well-Grounded Java Developer), the LJC Book Club has now started our new book: Functional Programming for the Object Orientated Programmer.

To keep things consistent, Ged and I will be keeping all the Skimmer's Guides on the LJC Blog from now on. I've drafted the first one and hopefully it will be available soon.

So far I have found the book a little slow, I'm dying to learn it all already! The functional style of coding combined with the old school command line style coding is bringing back strong memories of when I first started coding with Haskell xD

During the course of this book, we will be doing a load of exercises and I will be sharing all my code on GitHub (https://github.com/arkangelofkaos/fp-oo). Hopefully over the course of reading this book the quality of the code I produce will increase as well ;) However I am in dire need of a fully functioning IDE! My goal for next week is to try to get my old ultimate version of IntelliJ 11 fully set up and ready, I need my autocomplete and formatting back :P

In any case, so far the book is great aside from the slow start. I got so sucked into it that I've accidentally read ahead already. My immediate goals are to learn how to do recursion and pattern matching properly in Clojure, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment